Calm Your Mind Without Meditation…
When people think about calming their mind, they often think of meditation… As much as meditation is a powerful technique for building mental calmness, it’s not the only way to calm your mind. Consider these tips to find peace and inner calmness.
Try these ideas the next time you want to calm your mind and feel better:
1. Breathe. The simple act of breathing deeply can help you calm down quickly and reduce anxiety. Breathing can help you focus on the moment and forget your worries. A few deep breaths help relax your muscles as your cells receive the extra oxygen.
- Learn simple breathing exercises or just breathe deeply.
2. Show gratitude. By showing gratitude, you can change your focus and find peace. Being thankful and saying it can help you see the positive things that are around you.
- Send an email, talk on the phone, or write a note to someone that you would like to thank.
- When pausing and giving thanks, you’re also being in the present moment. When your mind is on the present moment, there’s no room for worrying about the future or regretting your past.
3. Smile. How often do you smile during the day? Do you smile at strangers as well as friends?
- Smiling can instantly boost your mood. It can help relax the body and mind, help the immune system, and reduce stress.
- Research published in the journal Psychological Science shows that even a fake smile can have a positive effect on the body. The act of smiling positively affects the brain.
4. Go for a hike or enjoy nature. If meditation doesn’t appeal to you because it involves sitting, then go for a hike or find another way to enjoy nature. Explore a park, trail, or other natural area near you.
- Notice the sounds, smells, and visuals in front of you as you walk.
- Nature can have a soothing impact on the brain and body.
5. Turn off your phone and other devices. Constant communication and connection can make it hard to have a calm mind. Turn off your phones, tablets, computers and other devices to find peace.
- By disconnecting from technology for brief periods of time, you’ll be able to relax.
6. Do some type of physical movement. Sometimes, physical activity such as cleaning the house or mowing the lawn can help calm the mind. Exercise can boost brain chemicals that make you happy.
- Physical activity can help you forget issues by forcing you to focus on completing the tasks.
- Look for activities that need to be done at home or at work. Do the dishes, vacuum, clean out closets, or organize cabinets. Sort the garage or attic, try gardening, or pull weeds. If you’re finished with tasks at home, reach out to friends and neighbors to help them.
Although meditation is important, it’s not the only way to stay calm. Consider trying other methods and experimenting until you find the ones that work best for you.
Are you ready to make personal and spiritual changes in your life? Consider a one on one private session with Moira or a reading to free yourself from limitations and open yourself up to greater possibilities? Click here to open the door.
Please share this article with your friends using the links below: