Critical and negative thoughts can stop you from finding true happiness. Such negative thoughts and emotions can drain you. They can affect each experience you have and make you feel resentful.
Beware of these toxic thoughts and develop strategies to increase your happiness:
1. I’ll always be alone.
Being lonely and feeling isolated are normal human emotions. However, they become toxic when you think that things will always be this way.
- This negative thought can make you feel that you are the only person on the planet. It can make you believe that you will never find love or a partner. And it can stop you from feeling joy.
- Instead of thinking you will always be alone, focus on what you already have. Do you have loving parents or siblings? Do you have amazing friends or coworkers? If you look carefully, you will see you are never truly alone.
2. I hate my body.
- Hating your body can be one of the most destructive thought patterns in your mind. It can lead to eating disorders, self-esteem issues, and other challenges. Everyone can find an imperfection, but it’s important to avoid dwelling on them.Understand that your body is a gift. It is part of what makes you unique. Notice the things you do like about your body. Accentuate those characteristics, focus on them, and you’ll find it easier to start loving the body you have.
3. I’m not happy with my career.
Your job can make you feel unhappy, but it’s another toxic thought. Try to avoid thinking about how much you hate your work.
- Of course, you may pursue a different career path. Seek out new work without dwelling on your hatred for the current job. Follow your passion for a new career without anger and resentment. It’s always more beneficial to go toward something instead of away from something else.
4. I’m not worthy.
This toxic thought can come up in many different guises. You may feel that you are not worthy of love, success, money, or other things. You may believe that you always must suffer and struggle. You may decide that you’re not meant for greater things.
- However, this toxic thought can stop you from enjoying life and finding happiness.
- These feelings of worthlessness are only in your mind. You are a unique person who has value, but you’ve convinced yourself otherwise.
- Often, this toxic thought comes from what you think others are thinking about you. You incorrectly assume that others don’t see any value in you, so your self-esteem sinks to a low level.
- Consider starting a new game: congratulate yourself each time you do something right. Find things that you do satisfactorily. Even small ones count. For example, if you made a tasty breakfast, congratulate yourself. If you like the outfit you are wearing, kudos to you for picking out something nice. Let your thoughts dwell on what you do right!!
5. I don’t have enough.
This toxic thought can show up in multiple ways, such as thinking you don’t have enough money, skills, talents, or abilities. You may also think you don’t have enough connections, friends, children, or things.
- Scarcity thoughts stop you from appreciating what you already have around you. They prevent you from finding joy in being thankful. With these thoughts, you may never have enough material possessions or people to love, regardless of how many you actually have.
- You can certainly strive for more, but it’s important to also be thankful for what you do have.
Critical and negative thoughts are easy to create and often hard to eliminate. They can overwhelm you if you are not careful. If toxic thoughts have gotten a hold on you, it is important to take action to release them from your mind.
Notice when these toxic thoughts arise. Immediately, switch that thought to one that is more positive and uplifts you. Meditate, repeat affirmations, and try these ideas to loosen their grip. Do these actions consistently, and soon you will find that things work out for your benefit more often.
Are you ready to make personal and spiritual changes in your life? Consider a one on one private session with Moira or a reading to free yourself from limitations and open yourself up to greater possibilities? Click here to open the door.
Please share this article with your friends using the links below: