What do you need to be happy? Is it a big house? A great career? The freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want? Of course, the requisites for happiness will vary from one person to another.
However, there are many things common to most happy people. Since we all want to be happy, researchers have been busy on the topic.
Opinions vary, but these things are likely to add to your happiness:
1. Relatively few things that detract from your happiness.
It is easier to be happy if there are only a few things to prevent you from being happy. Just like it is easier to get from Point A to Point B if there are few obstacles in your way.
- A good first step for increasing the amount of happiness in your life is to remove as many things as you can from your life that are making you unhappy.
- You do not need a lot in order to feel happy, if you can minimize those things that detract from your happiness. If you need a lot to be happy, there are probably a lot of things in your life detracting from your happiness.
You will struggle to be happy if you believe that you don’t have control over your life. Those who feel powerless also tend to be unhappy. Regardless of your situation, there are things you could be controlling in your life but are not.
- Strive to build a life that gives you as much control as possible. For example, having financial resources provides a lot of control.
- Having a good social circle also provides a lot of options.
- Minimizing your dependence on others also gives you more control over your life.
Happy people are consistently making progress in their lives. When you have a goal and make progress toward that goal, you are going to feel pretty good.
- Life is dull when it stays the same. Life feels pretty yucky when you are losing ground. If you have a few goals and take steps to achieve them, you are going to feel happier and more accomplished.
4. A purpose.
Having a purpose increases the amount of meaning in your life. The average person has never considered their purpose. That is why their life is average.
- Take some time to consider the purpose of your life. You are free to focus upon whatever you like. When you begin living with your purpose as a priority, you will experience more happiness.
- Your purpose could be living the most adventurous life possible, to master the piano, or to become a movie star. What do you want your life to be about?
There might be a few people that can truly be happy living a solitary life, but there are not many. Some people do well with a smaller, more intimate social circle. Others do well with a large social circle.
- But it is hard to be happy when you are all alone. If you do not have a few good friends, it is worth the time develop that part of your life.
6. Feeling needed.
There are many ways to feel needed. Having children, volunteering, or even having a pet are great ways to feel that you have value to the world. When you feel needed, and you are able to fulfill those needs, the level of happiness you experience in your life will increase.
If you had all these things, would you be happier? What else do you think you would need?
Happiness can, at times, feel elusive. You cannot just acquire happiness the way you would a fit body or a fancy car. Happiness arises from other things and situations. Think about what you need to be happy and make it happen!!
Are you ready to make personal and spiritual changes in your life? Consider a one on one private session with Moira or a reading to free yourself from limitations and open yourself up to greater possibilities? Click here to open the door.
Please share this article with your friends using the links below