It has happened to most of us before. In the comfort of your home, you have laid out plans for the rest of your life. You are going to lose 50 lbs., start a successful online business, make millions, and finally find the partner of your dreams. Then the sun comes up, and all that certainty and motivation starts to wobble and diminish.
You put your plan into action for a day or two and decide you are miserable. You think that you would rather stick with your mediocre life than pursue all of those goals.
Motivation is challenging to maintain after the initial excitement wears off. Here is why:
1. Planning is fun.
You are lying on the couch on a lazy evening and dreaming about the fantastic body you are going to have or all the zeros you will be adding to your bank account. The path is as clear as the nose on your face. How can you not be motivated?
- Everything is easy in your head. It is not much fun eating your first bowl of plain oatmeal or working your first night at your second job. Anyone can daydream and sketch out a plan. The hard part is doing the actual work.
Since executing your plan is less than glorious each day, distractions become quite appealing. Netflix, the internet, and playing a game on your phone are bit more exciting. Distractions can destroy dreams if you let them.
3. Too focused on results rather than processes.
Results come slowly. This is especially true at the beginning. It is not too exciting when you save $100 after a week or lose 1.7 pounds. If results are the only thing that you give your attention to, you will have a hard time staying the course.
- Work for a victory each day. You cannot make a lot of progress each day, but you can adhere to your plan. Feel good that you followed your plan and your processes today. Get hooked on that positive feeling. The results are sure to come along.
4. Too concerned with what others think.
It is important to be motivated internally. If you only want to lose weight to look good to others, or you only want to make money to impress others, your motivation will not last.
- Reach inside and find a personal reason for chasing your goal. Doing anything to impress others results in a hollow victory if you achieve a triumph at all. But do it for yourself, and you will feel proud and happy.
5. Too focused on the short-term.
Instead of dreading how you must spend your day, remind yourself of the reward at the end. Remind yourself of how great you will feel when you are successful. Visualize your success each morning and evening.
6. You are naturally driven to seek comfort.
Our minds and bodies do not like discomfort. We are programmed to be attracted to those things we find comfortable, whether it is a nice, warm couch, potato chips, or hanging out with friends.
- Your mind is struggling with you on some level when you spend your time doing something unenjoyable. To counteract this, find something you like about your new routine and focus on that.
So, what are your plans? Are you finally going to make them happen? Maintaining your motivation is an important ingredient.
Learn to celebrate the daily victories regarding your behavior. Internal motivation will always beat external motivation over longer periods of time. That initial burst of excitement fades quickly but stay the course and success will be yours!!
Are you ready to make personal and spiritual changes in your life? Consider a one on one private session with Moira or a reading to free yourself from limitations and open yourself up to greater possibilities? Click here to open the door.
Please share this article with your friends using the links below: