Negative Thoughts – 9 Ways to Let Them Go…
Negative thoughts are like a dampener to your spirit. They slowly gnaw away at you until there isn’t enough left to support your hopes and dreams. Negative thoughts are damaging because they affect everything that comes afterwards. This includes your decisions, goals, actions, and results.
Negative thinking can impact every area of your life. It limits your effectiveness and harms your outlook on life. If the time you have to spend on self-development is limited, dealing with your negative thinking is good way to utilize your time.
Take control of your thinking and be more positive:
1. Avoid thinking of yourself as a victim. When you have the mindset of a victim, you doom yourself to a plethora of negative thoughts. A victim has neither hope nor options. There are always ways to move forward. You have choices.
2. Recognize your negative thought patterns. Your thoughts can be just as habitual as your morning coffee. Notice your repetitive thoughts and when they happen. The first step to changing these thought patterns is to catch them when they first begin. When you notice negative thinking, change your thought.
- Either think a positive thought or redirect your thinking and focus to whatever you’re doing at that moment.
3. Read positive quotes each day. If you can’t find the time to read a book, at least read a few positive quotes each day. You can buy calendars with positive quotes. There are also plenty of websites with quotes on a wide variety of topics…. and of course Facebook Pages like mine 🙂
4. Keep your mind in the present. Sure, you can look ahead, as needed, to make plans. But your thoughts should remain rooted in the present. Thinking about the past results in frustration and regret. Thoughts of the future can cause anxiety. Keep your mind on your current surroundings and task at hand.
- There’s no reason to worry about the next step. Take care of the current step first.
5. Ask yourself, “Do I know for certain this is a fact? Or is it just my opinion?” You don’t know as much as you think you do. You make a lot of assumptions based on faulty knowledge. This can lead to the belief that a situation is more dire than it really is. If you don’t have accurate beliefs, you’re already at a huge disadvantage.
6. Avoid the idea that perfection is possible. Expect that you won’t be perfect at anything. When perfection is the goal, you’ll always fall short and that opens the door for negative thinking.
7. Spend time doing something that makes you feel good. It’s easy to have positive thoughts if you’re doing something enjoyable. Spend time with your partner or a good friend. Make a list of things you like to do and spend some time each day doing at least one of them. Enjoy yourself each day.
8. Meditate. Meditation seems to be a cure for everything. It’s one of the best ways to learn more about your thought patterns. It’s also an effective way for learning to focus and direct your thoughts.
9. Make a list of affirmations and take control of your self-talk. Instead of inventing positive self-talk on the fly, have a list prepared of positive things you can say to yourself. Build your self-talk around your goals and kill two birds with one stone.
Are your negative thoughts impacting your results and future? Negative thinking is a challenging habit to defeat. Monitor your thoughts and defeat negative thinking before it can take root. Replace those negative thoughts with a positive alternative. Make an effort to spend some time each day enjoying yourself.
Little by little, you’ll find that you’re spending more of your time thinking positively, and your life will take a turn for the better!
Are you ready to make personal and spiritual changes in your life? Consider a one on one private session with Moira or a reading to free yourself from limitations and open yourself up to greater possibilities? Click here to open the door.
Please share this article with your friends using the links below: